Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Sweet Potato Mexican Rice Bowl

Yesterday I got off work a few minutes early, which was very exciting to me because I was finally able to have time cook for my sweet hubby before he got off work!

We are obsessed with Mexican Food, so when I saw this recipe on backtoherroots.com I knew I had to give it a try!
We were both VERY  pleased with the results!!
Plus, it made quite a bit so we have lots of leftovers! Yay!!!


rice bowls

Ingredients:
  • Cooking Spray
  • 1 Tbs Olive Oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Tbs Chili Powder
  • 2-3 sweet potatoes
  • 1 large red pepper
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • Lime wedges
  • 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
  • avocado
  • cilantro
  • sour cream
Instructions:

Preheat oven to your oven to 400. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and set aside
In a medium-sized bowl mix olive oil,  garlic, chili powder. Add diced sweet potatoes, onions, and red pepper. Mix well so everything is coated. Spread veggies in the dish (you may want to add more seasoning, we like lots of flavor!) Roast in oven for about 30 minutes until the veggies are soft and begin to brown.

We love Chipotle, especially their rice! So I kind of played around to create this similar tasting rice...

Boil 2 cups of water, 1 tsp oil, 1 tsp salt. Add 2 cups of rice. Once the rice is finished add the juice of two limes, and about 5 Tbs of cilantro. 

To assemble the bowls spoon rice in the bottom, add black beans, roasted veggies, more cilantro, avocado, and top it off with sour cream.


Enjoy!!

Xoxo,

Ashlie




No comments:

Post a Comment